Read Parts 1 & 2 First
Now you have seen the two basic parts to the invention. The post that holds the dishes, and the carpet that holds the post.
The post is made up of three parts. I will talk in basic terms so that you can customize it to your specifications. I used a 3/4” dowel for the stick part. I found the 1 ½ “ round wooden discs at a hardware store. The screw is ¼ “ self tapping.
I made a jig for drilling holes in the post and the disc. I clamped the jigs into my drill press. I was able to make quick work out of the 20 or so posts I made for my camper.
The carpet was no big deal. I went to my local carpet dealer and went through his remnants. I found a tan tweed with heavy foam back. Remnants are very cheap and much easier to handle than a roll of carpet.
I measured the inside of the cabinets where I was going to install the carpet. Marking and cutting the back of the carpet was very easy. The only thing I was careful about was the edge the showed out of the front of the cabinet. I didn’t want a frayed edge showing. Test and make sure the carpet fits in the cabinet.
I made sure the cabinet was very clean inside. I first used a dust broom to get any larger items out. I then vacuumed the cabinet to get any small pieces. I then used a damp rag and went through the cabinet again. I knew now the cabinet was clean.
I shook out the piece of carpet that I was going to install. Laying the carpet foam side up I measured and cut three strips of carpet tape about ¼ “ shorter then the carpet. I put the tape down on the carpet back, one on each side and one strip in the middle.
The installation of all the pieces was pretty straight forward. The carpet went in easy. You do have to make sure to get the tape to adhere. I then set dishes in the cabinet in the arrangement I felt would be best. I then took the posts and screwed three of them around any dishes that were not against a cupboard wall. Dishes that were only required one or two posts.
I did do some testing before I made my camper parts. I made a cabinet with a Plexiglas front. I mounted a video camera taking video of the dishes in the cabinet. I took videos of the cabinet at various speeds and breaking pressures. The proof was there. The dishes without protection were in shambles. Some were broken but nothing stayed where it was placed. The posts told a different story. No matter how hard I braked, everything stayed put. I did this test with place settings for 6.
If you feel this is worth pursuing, then do your own testing.
There you have my invention. Good, bad or indifferent I am proud to have come up with the idea. I want to give it to anyone that wants it. There are no strings, but I would like to know if someone is working on it.
P. S. There are more places that I though this could be used for. A train or even a trucker with a sleeper might benefit from this.
P.S.S There is one invention that I am marketing myself, You can see it @ http://www.mailboxdooralert.com